About this Blog

This Blog is a collection of excerpts from talks given by Sri Swami Vishwananda. Please note that this Blog does not focus on dates, background and the exact original way of how Swamiji delivered the speech. We edit the talks slightly, presenting them in a kind of “poetic” format. This means we choose certain paragraphs from a talk which reflect a particular theme.
Read them as pieces of Divine Wisdom, meditate upon the words and just feel how Swamiji is addressing you with His words.

Thursday 5 November 2009

A story about Guru Nanak or loving service

Sri Swami Vishwananda is telling a story of the life of the Indian Saint Guru Nanak.
Once a very proud and arrogant King came to Guru Nanak. Guru Nanak is a Sikh guru, who he wore a turban on his head. So, when the king came to him, Guru Nanak offered him a small needle. This king normally was very wicked and he liked to collect things only for himself. So, Guru Nanak gave him this small needle and said to the king, “King, take this needle. Keep it and return it to me when you see me in heaven.”

So, the king was very happy. Joyful, he reached his kingdom and said, “Guru Nanak, has said I will go to heaven.” And, he showed his queen, “Look queen, Guru Nanak has given me this beautiful needle. He said I shall return this to him in heaven.” The queen looked at him and said, “My dear king, how would you return the needle to Guru Nanak in heaven, because when you die you leave your body here?” So, he said, “Yes, that's a good question. Out of my joy and my happiness I forgot to ask him. I forgot that I have to leave my body here.”

So, early morning he was at Guru Nanak’s place. And he said very happily “Guru Nanakji, you have given me this needle yesterday and you told me to return it to you in heaven, but tell me something, how will I return this to you in heaven? When I die, I leave my body here, how will I take this?” Guru Nanak smiled at him and said, “My dear king, you don’t realize what you have collected from the people, in a not good way. All the thing that you have collected don’t even worth this small needle, but yetyou can't carry this little needle to heaven How will you carry all the other things that you have collected?”
Hearing that, his pride and all he was inside of him was shattered. So, he fell down to the guru’s feet and asked for forgiveness. And he asked the guru to blessed him. He detached himself and gave everything to the people.
So if you want to be happy, serve. Serve with the open heart. Serve with love and don’t expect anything, because if you expect you will be always unhappy.

No comments:

 
Site Meter BlogPingR.de - Blog Ping-Dienst, Blogmonitor Blogverzeichnis - Blog Verzeichnis bloggerei.de Religion Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory Blogverzeichnis